The following are the rules and guidelines that will govern the 2016 HMARS events. These rules and subsequent penalties shall be enforced by the Race Director. Violations of these rules can be reported to the RD by any event staff member or volunteer.
100 METER RULE
- The 100-meter rule will be in effect at ALL times.
- First infraction = 30 minutes
- Second infraction = 60 minutes
- Third infraction = Disqualification
- Egregious infractions = RD discretion
- Time penalties incurred during the race will be served at the next transition area (TA).
- Teams serving a penalty will be restricted to a penalty box and will not have access to gear boxes, maps, or any amenity available in the TA.
- There will be a designated area or penalty box.
- Team will be sent to designated area immediately after checking into the TA and will be required to stay in the area for the duration of the penalty.
- Teams wishing to issue a complaint or rules violation against a competing team must submit in writing notification of the infraction at the next available TA.
CP’S OBTAINED IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER
- All checkpoints (CPs) must be obtained in sequential order unless otherwise specified by race management.
OUTSIDE HELP PROHIBITED
- All HMARS events are unsupported. No organized outside help will be allowed.
- Each incident = 120 minutes
RANDOM GEAR CHECKS
- Mandatory gear checks will be conducted randomly during the race.
- Every piece of missing gear = 15 minutes
NO THIRD-PARTY MAPS
- Once maps are issued, only HMARS maps will be allowed. No outside maps or electronic devices shall be used in the plotting of CPs or during the actual race.
- Use of unapproved maps or electronic devices = 45 minute penalty to be served at the next TA.
- Leave No Trace means you pack out what you take in, your TA space is picked up.
- Automatic disqualification
- Gear boxes will be allowed for each team and will not be provided by race management.
- Teams will be allowed two (2) gear boxes with dimensions no greater than 44″x21″x17″ (eg: Rubbermaid 48 US gallon).
- Gear boxes must be able to close without the aid of straps, tape or other means. If the box does not close, it will not travel to the next TA.
- There will be an event specific weight limit for each gear box. Boxes will be weighed by race management after they have been checked in 30 minutes after the conclusion of the prerace meeting. Overweight boxes will have gear randomly removed until they are under the weight limit.
- Every minute past the 30 minute deadline will be assessed a 15 minute penalty to be served at the next TA.